Spanning a wide-angle to telephoto range, the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM from Canon is a 27.2-136mm-equivalent zoom designed for EF-S-mount DSLRs. This reach is complemented by an optical design featuring one dual-sided aspherical element, which helps to minimize distortion and spherical aberrations in order to realize greater sharpness and clarity. A Super Spectra coating has also been applied that reduces flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy. The lens also features an Optical Image Stabilizer, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake by three stops to better enable shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions. Additionally, a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor is featured, too, which affords quick, quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
- Standard zoom is designed for APS-C-format Canon EF-S-mount DSLRs, and offers a 27.2-136mm equivalent focal length range.
- One dual-sided aspherical element minimizes spherical aberrations and distortions for improved sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to three stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with an internal focusing system, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded six-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
In the Box
- Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens
- Canon E-67 II 67mm Lens Cap
- Canon Lens Dust Cap E (Rear Lens Cap)
|Focal Length||17 to 85mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 27.2 to 136mm)|
|Maximum Aperture||f/4 to 5.6|
|Minimum Aperture||f/22 to 32|
|Lens Mount||Canon EF-S|
|Angle of View||78° 30' to 18° 25'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||1.15' / 35 cm|
|Optical Design||17 Elements in 12 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||6, Rounded|
|Filter Size||67 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||3.09 x 3.62" / 78.5 x 92 mm|
|Weight||1.05 lb / 475 g|